Monday, July 18, 2005

Flick the button

Very productive weekend...

1. Naked - I'm interested enough to know that I need to watch this again before I make any real judgments about it. But I'm not sold on it yet, either. Often distracted by the voice of Knox Harrington, the video artist. And yet I wished I could slow him down to follow along better. Not fired, but not ready to rate.

2. The Lavender Hill Mob - I enjoy the Ealing films. This is a clever heist film that holds up pretty well. Not as captivating as Kind Hearts and Coronets, but I definitely liked it. Steak Knives.

3. Wedding Crashers - OK, put away the hating. It's actually pretty funny. I have a feeling it's a funnier script though. Director doesn't know comedy cadence. I couldn't hear the dialogue for six or seven scenes because of laughter in the crowd. Some of Vaughn's long speeches need pauses for the crowd to catch up. Also worth another viewing. Some excellent lines in this. But still could've been better. Sharp steak knife, compared to most POS comedies.

4. Hitch - Did someone say POS comedy? Two things of interest. A) I remember seeing the preview for this and it had the scene with Michael Rappoport. And that's the only scene he's in. Did they hire him just for the preview? Did he get less $$$? B) Not enough was made about how utterly disgusting using a Jet Ski in the Hudson River is. Moronic. Fired.

5. National Treasure - And now a piece of shit action movie. Without much action though. I guess I'm not the targeted demographic since I'm neither an 11 year old or his mother. Three things of interest. A) Can't someone help Jon Voight and Christoper Plummer out with their respective mortgages? B) How did Steve Zahn lose Justin Bartha's role? Fire the agent. C) Not enough is made about how utterly disgusting jumping off an aircraft carrier into the Hudson River is. Someone needs to update Robo-scripter 2010 because he's shitting out the same turds. Fired.

6. The Day After Tomorrow - OK, so perhaps you've figured out that I have a soft spot for shitty, big budget movies. The thing is, I have this weird idea that someone in Hollywood has to have seen something worthwhile in a movie like this to spend the money to bankroll it. Sure, 90% of the time I'm disappointed, even with low expectations, but I still feel like it's worth the risk. And that take doesn't really say much about this movie. Sure, it sucked. But it was more watchable than the last two. And it made me think Dick Cheney is a bastard. Fired, but not quite as terrible as it probably should've been.

0 comments: