Sunday, July 24, 2005

Flick the button

1. Hoop Dreams: I think I was scared off before by the 3 hour run time. Big mistake. One of the best films of the 1990s, and maybe all time. I can't think of another film that says so much about race, class, urban and suburban life, education, money, etc. When done right, sport can often provide the best canvas to discuss the realities sport is a diversion from. This should be required viewing for every high school student. Excellently made, incredibly fast paced. Just great. And the lady stayed awake throughout, which is amazing for a 3 hour movie after a large meal. Cadillac, and a really nice one.

2. The Bourne Supremacy: Second viewing, so this might not be fair, compared to other reviews. But I think my first time seeing it I was wrong about it. This is better than I originally thought. An action movie that has enough complexity to keep me interested, and the chase scenes are incredibly well done. I rewatched the first Bourne movie a while ago, and while it's still really good, I think this one might actually be a little better, mostly because it doesn't have to set up everything and it can get right to the plot. Action movies should be more like this. And while I'm at it, rent Bloody Sunday. One of the better films of the aughts, seriously. Sharp steak knife, and I'm close to calling it a cadillac.

3. Blade Runner: I need another viewing. Was kind of scatterbrained when I watched it. But I was really impressed by the world created. Definitely more visionary than Minority Report, which I guess is a natural comparable, but also not as exciting upon first view. I'll watch it again and then rate.

0 comments: