Sunday, April 23, 2006

Remainder

This is from a few weeks ago, but I wanted to add a bit.

Apparently, after the Masters, Tiger Woods got into a little trouble for saying he played like "a spazz". The British tabloid press jumed on it because evidently spazz isn't PC in Britain (somehow akin to "retarded").

If it offended people, that's unfortunate, and Tiger apologized for the use of the word. No big deal.

The thing that bothers me though, is that the British tabloid press was the group who made a big deal out of it. If there's a group on earth that shouldn't be in the political correctness enforcement business, it's them.

Why do I have strong feelings about this, at least enough to post about it? Well, in 1997 I studied abroad in England. And I was over there during the British Open, held that year at Royal Troon and won by Justin Leonard. Tiger finished 12 shots back, and his pedestrian first two rounds kept him out of contention. But on Saturday, he shot the low round of the tournament - a 64, charging him toward the top of the leaderboard. It was a pretty stellar round, and the British press focused on it for their Sunday back pages. I know this because I was on trains all day on that Sunday, returning to Oxford from Conwy, Wales.

What does that 1997 Open have to do with this? Well, the bold, 2 inch size font headlines kind of surprised me.

"THAT BOLD BLACK MAGIC"

Far be it for me to cry hypocrisy, but seems to me that the tabloid press is using stereotypical terms to describe someone's golf playing. Much like they were complaining about Tiger doing.

The Dagger can back me up on all relevant details. He was there.

0 comments: