Tuesday, February 15, 2005

UEFA Cup Fever!

The price of the Euro keeping you from following European football? Go east, young man! And catch the excitement of the UEFA Cup, where there are plenty of Eastern European teams. I think I might even prefer the UEFA Cup to the rich and greedy Champions' League. I like how the teams in UEFA tend to sell (usually to Champions' League teams) their players over winter break. So a team might advance to the knockout round, then start playing its reserves. Hilarious! And it's also hard to pronounce a lot of the teams' names, especially in the early stages. 8 games tomorrow. I'll predict them, since I have such great expertise on Ukrainian teams.

Partizan Belgrade v. Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 1-1
Shaktar Donetsk v. Schalke 04 1-0
Panathinaikos v. Sevilla 0-2
Ajax v. Auxerre 0-1
Parma v. Stuttgart 1-1
Austria Vienna v. Atletico Bilbao 0-2
Valencia v. Steaua Bucharest 3-0
Sporting Lisbon v. Feyenoord 1-1

I like Dnipro, Schalke, Sevilla, Auxerre, Stuttgart, Atletico Bilbao, Valencia and Feyenoord to advance.

8 more picks tomorrow! Feel free to make yours in comments. First kickoff at 11 AM! Awesome!

0 comments: