Saturday, May 07, 2005

Flick the Button

1. Dogville: Well, I'm not sure I can think of another film that almost begs for serious criticism - and not the kind like "It was good/bad". As I watched it I started thinking of feminist criticism, marxist criticism, deconstruction, etc. But it also brings up another point. Is criticism of America - which this film clearly tries (quite successfully at time) - necessarily "anti-American"? While watching, I kept thinking how viciously cutting the criticism was. Anyway, I could go on for hours on this. As for my opinion of it, I thought it was absolutely genius. I would not recommend it to others, but it is definitely a cadillac.

2. Koyaanisqatsi: Beautiful at times, I guess. Not subtle, and yes, repetitive. Copied frequently ever since. I'm sure it was revolutionary when it came out, but now it seems a little, well, passe. Makes me wonder why Madonna's Ray of Light video was so universally praised. I don't know if I could give it an honest grade.

3. Ali G Indahouse: Dumb comedy that made me laugh. Totally different from the TV show. The TV show uses dumb comedy to tear into serious stuff. This uses dumb comedy to tear into horse cock jokes. But I laughed pretty hard throughout. Steak Knife.

0 comments: