Sunday, June 12, 2005

Sports blow this time of year (and even worse when the Braves eat a dick)

Aside from all the bad news that just seems to pile up about Georgia Football (nothing new but that doesn't stop the AJC from devoting plenty of space to supposed problems), I can't find much to write about.

Well, Thursday the US Open starts. I'm no golf fan, but I appreciate the democratic way the Open determines the field. And this year congratulations to Franklin Langham and Ryuji Imada, former Bulldog golfers, who have qualified.

Imada was a springtime Red and Black fixture when I was in college, so it's good to see he's having some success. However, how crazy is the money structure in pro golf where Imada (or is it Ryuji?) has made $333,598 this year so far, but he's only 108th on the money list? That's an asston of money for someone who can't even be assured of keeping his tour card for next year. Actually, now that I think about it, that's pretty close to the league minimum for baseball and football. So maybe that isn't all that much. But also, I'd guess he needs to keep winning to stay on tour. Is money in pro golf bigger than the NFL or MLB? I never would've guessed so. Maybe I'm an idiot.

So this weekend look for old white dudes bitching about the rough and slick greens, in between cholestoral pill and mutual fund commercials.

0 comments: