Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Apologies

It's Georgia-Florida week, and for some of the new readers, let me explain further.

Georgia is in the unique position of having multiple rivals, of varying degrees. Some schools have one real rival and everyone else matters a little less, like say, Clemson and South Carolina. Some schools have two rivals and don't really care about anyone else (Alabama). Georgia has lots of rivals, and the degrees of rivalry change over time and depending on the recent results.

If you asked 10 Georgia fans who the Dawgs most bitter rival is, you might get 5 different answers. Georgia Tech, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, and even Clemson for some of the old guard. And the rival you choose kind of determines what kind of Dawg fan you are.

People who hate Tech are usually from Atlanta and work with a lot of obnoxious Tech fans.
People who hate Auburn are usually from Columbus or West Georgia.
People who hate Tennessee are usually from North Georgia.
People who hate Clemson probably matured as fans in the early 80s.

And the rest of us hate Florida.

It's the recent dominance. It's Spurrier. It's the way we used to own them, and then got lax, starting to think we had bigger rivals elsewhere, then gave the series to them for the last 15 years to the point that now they have bigger rivals elsewhere. It's the way I hate them. Period.

As a college freshman, Florida played in Athens for the first time in 50+ years. I was a fraternity pledge. Spurrier put the starters back in and ran a trick play to be able to be the first visiting team to score 50 in Sanford Stadium. Then the Braves won the world series. The next morning the parking lot of the lodge was about 6 inches deep in coleslaw. Cleaning up was awesome. And I've never thought twice about hating Florida. My mind just returns to that coleslaw. Bastards.

I spent 7 years at UGA. Our record against Florida over that time? 1-6.

So yes, I hate Florida.

And I really know we're getting waxed this weekend.

And I'm ornery because of it. Been so all week. The wife thinks there's something wrong. There is. I've been posting annoying comments at EDSBS all week. Normally I lurk, but this week I can't keep my trap shut. I'm annoying myself.

So we've got three more days of nervous energy and dread, then a week of pissed off "would've should've" bullshit. I can't wait.

0 comments: