Saturday, March 05, 2005

Let's move on to the women...

Not exactly the same rules as before. Born between 1960 and 1980. I'm not dividing between stars and supporters, because (in my opinion) Hollywood doesn't offer enough starring roles for women, and nearly every woman I considered had as many supporting roles as starring roles, even the megastars. Also, how should I consider a woman who has several starring roles in small or independent films, but is primarily a supporting actress in larger films? Because the line seemed too blurry to divide them, I'm throwing them all together. I'm going to start by listing all the actresses who were considered at all, then list my top 20. As I started compiling the list, I started to notice that there are a ton of very good actresses who were born just a little early (1958 has like five good actresses) or just a little late. And this time, I've placed a little higher importance on whether I've liked the actress's performances, i.e. Hillary Swank gets universally praised, but I don't have much of a problem keeping her off my list because I haven't really liked her that much.

Considered (if even for a second):

Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Uma Thurman, Reese Witherspoon, Renee Zellwegger, Jodie Foster, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Cate Blanchett, Hillary Swank, Cameron Diaz, Julianne Moore, Kate Winslet, Laura Linney, Charlize Theron, Winona Ryder, Meg Ryan, Queen Latifah, Halle Berry, Naomi Watts, Jennifer Connelly, Juliette Binoche, Kate Hudson, Angelina Jolie, Catherine Keener, Chloe Sevigny, Samantha Morton, Toni Colette, Emily Watson, Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Garner, Helen Hunt, Helena Bonham-Carter, Joan Cusack, Minnie Driver, Claire Danes, Demi Moore, Kristin Scott-Thomas, Elizabeth Shue, Mira Sorvino, Marisa Tomei, Juliette Lewis, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Sarah Polley, Christina Ricci, Kate Beckinsale, Lucy Liu, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Penelope Cruz, Zhang Ziyi, Jennifer Lopez, Elizabeth Hurley, Carrie-Ann Moss, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Miranda Otto, Ashley Judd, Connie Nielsen, Liv Tyler, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Neve Campbell, Lisa Kudrow, Michelle Yeoh, Audrey Tatou, Milla Jovovich, Heather Graham, Vivica A. Fox, Robin Tunney, Janeane Garafalo, Gina Gershon, Famke Janssen, Franka Potente, Alicia Silverstone, Julie Delpy, Mary Louise Parker, Robin Wright Penn, Maria Bello, Hope Davis, Bonnie Hunt, Tilda Swinton, Janet McTeer, Joey Lauren Adams, Monica Bellucci, Olivia Williams, Madonna, Christina Applegate, Virginia Madsen, Christine Taylor, Teri Polo, Saffron Burrows, Kerry Washington, Laura Elena Harring, Katie Holmes, Melora Walters, Emily Mortimer, Eva Mendes, Rosario Dawson, Rachel Weisz, Keri Russell, Carla Gugino, Brittany Murphy, Li Gong, Tea Leoni, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Amanda Peet, Jada Pinkett Smith, Rachel McAdams, Kelly Preston, Elizabeth Perkins, Sophie Okonedo, and I've already spent too much time... Add any I've missed in comments.

Here's my top 20:

1. Nicole Kidman
2. Kate Winslet
3. Cate Blanchett
4. Julianne Moore
5. Jodie Foster
6. Naomi Watts
7. Renee Zellwegger
8. Cameron Diaz
9. Uma Thurman
10. Juliette Binoche
11. Jennifer Connelly
12. Reese Witherspoon
13. Laura Linney
14. Emily Watson
15. Sarah Polley
16. Samantha Morton
17. Gwynneth Paltrow
18. Helena Bonham-Carter
19. Minnie Driver
20. Franka Potente

Sure to elicit complaints... I'll say this: compiling this list makes it very clear to me that there are not nearly enough good roles for women in major Hollywood productions, or even smaller productions. Try this yourself and you'll see too.

0 comments: