Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Why couldn't they have just brought back Battle of the Network Stars?

Can't remember the name of it, and I can't find a link on ESPN, but apparently the network is bringing out a "Superstars" like cometition where NFL players battle each other in dodgeball and other random sports.

As someone who saw Robert Edwards' career end in real time while playing in a "made for ESPN" beach football game, I think this is an absolutely terrible idea. The commercial has Deion Branch and others in a tug of war battle on sand. Nobody's going to watch this, and you just know that someone is going to get hurt. I can't understand why any team allows players under contract to do something else. I'd also like to know what kind of insurance policies the show enters into (I can't see how anyone would cover the show in any practicable/profitable way).

So yeah, I think this is a bad idea.

0 comments: