Monday, May 16, 2005

Universal Pictures

In comments below, there was a little discussion about the movies which are so indelible, so popular or widely seen as to become a part of the vernacular. These films might not be the best, might not even be good. But they are universal. These are the films where if you haven't seen one, people who aren't even fans of movies will be surprised.

I took a stab of making a list of the movies I'd consider universal. Again, these aren't necessarily the best films, or even ones I like. For some, it's the popularity. For others it's the quality. For others it's just something about them that just forced their way into the American consciousness.

Here's a stab at a list, and I'm sure this is somewhat slanted by generation, gender and personal perspective. Feel free to add more in comments.

Star Wars (Original Trilogy)
The Godfather Parts I and II
Titanic
Gone With The Wind
The Wizard of Oz
Casablanca
Jaws
Psycho
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Graduate
Citizen Kane
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Animal House
Caddyshack
The Graduate
When Harry Met Sally
E.T.
Bambi
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Dumbo
Peter Pan
Pulp Fiction
Forrest Gump
Back to the Future
Ghostbusters
Top Gun
Schindler's List
Rocky

I'm missing 3 of these, and I'm kind of ashamed of it. Well, maybe. I might've seen 2 of the 3 I'm missing, but I think I was too young.

0 comments: