Monday, October 31, 2005

Race and Sport

Obviously, I'm no expert on this. But I do think there should be a dialogue on race and disparate treatment. I take no particular side. I instead open the floor to debate.

First, via the Wrangler...

John Rocker, in Sports Illustrated, December 27, 1999:

"The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

Jamal Lewis, interview with ESPN's Michael Smith, 2005:

"A lot of people think four months is not a long time, but you try doing 120 days in one place, being in a dorm with a bunch of people of all different nationalities that you don't even know, and not being able to have some of the things that you're used to."

And now another issue, discussed on 2 Live Stews on my drive home today...

Tyrone Willingham after seven games: 7-0.
Charlie Weis after seven games: 5-2.
Tyrone Willingham: no contract extensions over three years.
Charlie Weis: 10 year, $30-40 million dollar extension seven games into his career at Notre Dame.

Comments anyone?

0 comments: