Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Year in Review - Music

Like the others, I am not focusing on music that necessarily appeared on record store shelves this year, but rather what I purchased or grew fond of this year. Music is less my thing than film and books, so take this with less than salt. Also, I'd consider myself more of a single guy than an album guy.

That said, the best albums I purchased this year were:

1) Bloc Party: Silent Alarm
2) Interpol: Antics
3) Sufjan Stevens: Illinois
4) The Futureheads: s/t
5) Arcade Fire: Funeral

And I won't rank it, but Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys does top the list, though I only got around to actually purchasing my own copy this year. Get Behind Me Satan is right behind Arcade Fire.

15 Best songs (but not albums) I downloaded this year:

1) Move Your Feet - Junior Senior
2) Common People - Pulp
3) Eastbound and Down - Jerry Reed
4) America, Fuck Yeah - Team America: World Police Soundtrack
5) La Tortura - Shakira
6) Ludacris - Pimpin' All Over the World
7) Hypnotize - System of a Down
8) In the Kitchen - R. Kelly
9) Thirteen - Big Star
10) Dry Your Eyes - The Streets
11) Amerie - 1 Thing
12) Dragostea Din Tei - O-Zone
13) Ladyflash - The Go! Team
14) Say it Again - Little Brother
15) Helena - My Chemical Romance

And that list is probably not completely accurate since I didn't put that much into it.

Best song that came out this year that I haven't downloaded:
1) Kryptonite - Big Boi et al

Worst songs of the year, none of which I own:

1) You're Beautiful - James Blunt
2) Don't Phunk with my Heart - Black Eyed Peas (Yep, even worse than My Humps)
3) LOVE - Ashlee Simpson
4) Inside Your Heaven - Carrie Underwood
5) Anything released by Jack Johnson

0 comments: