Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Elbowing in...

Didn't want to pass on this because I don't want people to think I was ducking it. Anyway, EDSBS hosted a blogpoll roundtable, which I don't normally participate in, because I'm not a blogpoll voter, a while back that asked for revelation of biases and stuff. I think I've hinted at this in very early posts, but the roundtable questions put it all in the right spot.

Education. List the region of the country you were born in, what universities you attended and at least one other you would have attended if your alma mater didn’t exist.

Born south of the Mason-Dixon line in New Jersey. Now you may call that bullshit, but it's true. I was born and lived 7 years in the gambling/beachgoing/taffy-ripping-fillings-out part of the state and not the brownfields/refinery tank/Sopranos part. I used to describe it to my South Georgia friends unaware of the state that I lived in a place akin to Brunswick, while most people think of Jersey as Atlanta. Not that that's necessarily better. Lived in Georgia the last 22 years, save 9 months in North Wales, Pennsylvania. Attended the University of Georgia for undergraduate degree and law degree. Where I would've gone otherwise is an odd question. My 18 year old idiot self actually had Georgia as a fallback school, and I sat waitlisted everywhere else, and had I gotten in there I'd probably a communist or something. Small schools up north. Looking backward, I'd have a completely different answer for this question. I think I'd like California or Texas. Throw in Georgetown too.

Sports Affiliations. List your top 10 favorite teams in all of sports in decending order. For instance, your alma mater’s football team may be number 1, but perhaps there is a professional team that squeezes in before you get to your alma mater’s lacrosse team.


Ranked in order of what I'd watch if title games featuring such team were on at the same time: Georgia Football, Georgia Basketball, USA MNT, Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta Hawks, Atlanta Thrashers, Georgia Baseball, Walton Raider football, and... Georgia Mens' Tennis (seriously, an NCAA Championship Title match is awesome live).

Movies. List the movie you’ve watched the most, your favorite sports related movie, the movie you secretly love but don’t like to admit it (possibly a chick flick or b film), and the movie you were (or still are) most looking forward to from this summer’s season.
Probably watched The Big Lebowski most, but Animal House and Raising Arizona aren't far behind, and Old School and Napoleon Dynamite are catching up quickly now that they're on cable all the time. Favorite sports movie is either Caddyshack or Slap Shot, but does Best In Show count? or Fight Club? I secretly love plenty of shitty and chick movies. Amelie is one that comes to mind. I'm most looking forward to Talladega Nights, I guess, but really just because it'll tide me over until Borat in the fall. If it ever comes out, ATHF the movie could slot in here too.

Music. List your favorite band from middle school, high school, college and today. Also, as with the movies, include the song you secretly love but don’t like to admit. If Nickleback is involved in any of these responses, please give a detailed explanation as to why, god, why.


This is harder. I guess my music liking curve tracked closer to the MTV late night weekend shows I'd tape and watch later, rather than simply bands. Middle school, it was Headbangers' Ball, high school it was 120 Minutes. College was whatever was on that would make me laugh when I was drunk and plowing through a Gumby's pizza. Now, I guess it's whatever twee bullshit gets played as the credits roll on "The Hills". To answer the question, I'd say in Middle it was Metallica and Led Zeppelin. High school was Archers of Loaf, Sugar, REM and Nirvana. College was probably Radiohead or Beck but that covers up the indisputable fact that my taste in music slipped to below rational levels due to the prevalence of that ubiquitous Allman Brothers Band greatest hits album throughout UGA's greek system. Now, I have little idea if I have a favorite band. REM is still there, along with Beck, Radiohead and U2. I hide from no one my love of Backstreet's "I Want It That Way", so I guess I'll roll with admitting that I secretly like that Incubus song "Wish You Were Here". I'm a little ashamed of that.

Books. Favorite book you’ve finished, worst book you’ve finished and the book you really should read but haven’t gotten around to it.


Favorite ever is Don Quijote. The worst was covered in a meme I threw out a while ago, but I revise to include Angels & Demons. That book ate a huge dang. I should read the stack of books awaiting me on the shelf, but I guess I'd like to read Football Against the Enemy by Simon Kuper, and that Bill Bryson history of everything book.

Travel. Favorite city you’ve every been to and the one place you still must visit before you shuffle off this mortal coil.


A lot of cities could be favorites. St. Andrews, Scotland (and I hate golf); San Francisco; Oxford, England; Galway, Ireland. Must visit Rome, Venice, Florence, Jerusalem, Istanbul, Paris, and Sydney.

What do you love most about college football in 20 words or less?


It breaks your heart over and over. Then Michael Johnson catches a 4th and 15 and I lose my voice and track of time.

0 comments: