Thursday, July 19, 2007

Word of the Day

The Lady and I actually watched a few minutes of that silly reality show that's basically an impersonator's American Idol yesterday. The Seacrest wannabe is a woman named Michelle Merkin. For some reason that word, Merkin, stuck in my head. I knew it was a good word, and that I should remember the definition. But I couldn't remember it.

Thank the Lord for Google for being there to remind me.

Merkin:
Definition 1. –noun- false hair for the female pudenda...
Definition 2. n. A pubic wig for women.
Etymology. "female pudenda," 1535, apparently a variant of malkin (q.v.) in its sense of "mop." Meaning "artificial vagina or 'counterfeit hair for a woman's privy parts' " is attested from 1617. According to "The Oxford Companion to the Body," the custom of wearing merkins dates from c.1450, was associated with prostitutes, and was to disguise either pubic hair shaved off to exterminate body lice or evidence of venereal disease.

Needless to say, I find this freaking incredible.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found it hilarious when watching the show with my kids.

Also used as a slang term for a female that pretends to be a homosexual man's date/girlfriend.

For instance at a wedding, family function, and especially in Hollywood.
Example:
#1: "Who's the hot girl with Tod, I thought he was gay?"
#2: "He is, that's just his Merkin."