Sunday, December 02, 2007

Shorter Coaches Standing Up For Their Teams

Last night, the late SportsCenter invited the coaches of several schools competing for a slot in the BCS National Championship Game to come on the show via calling in and state the case for their team.  Here, briefly, is what the three coaches said:


Mark Richt: It's a bad system.  We're a strong team.  Our losses were the results of youth.

Pete Carroll: It's a bad system.  We're a strong team.  Our losses were the results of injuries.

Les Miles: I'm not going to come on here and criticize any other team, but Georgia sucks for the following reasons.  Also, we didn't really lose because I don't comprehend the concept of this "overtime" thingamajig.

Les Miles wears a tall hat because it has to fit around his ass.

Also: there's little doubt in my mind that Les Miles' approach will work.  Pollsters don't reward class.  They reward people who stand up and say "I want this", even if they are assholes while doing it.  


4 comments:

peacedog said...

Miles is a fucking douchebag. I can't *stand* the "We the best team in regulation this season" stuff. I'm more upset about that than his dissing of UGA (which doesn't bother me as much, probably partly because while I Feel we got shafted it's a crowded room, and partly because we'll get to talk it over with him next year, and I'll very much look forward to shoving it in his face).

What's criminal is that nobody threw that shit back in his face that I have seen (outside of the blogshere, anyway).

Unknown said...

"Pollsters don't reward class. They reward people who stand up and say "I want this", even if they are assholes while doing it."

Well then what good is class? Wouldnt you rather have a coach that will do and say what he needs to in order to get your team into a better position?

LD said...

Andrew, the answer from me is yes. There's a time and place for class (after a result) and a time and place for advocacy (before a decision).

Mack Brown, Urban Meyer, Les Miles all advocated strongly and held back nothing.

Mark Richt, Pete Caroll, Lloyd Carr and Jeff Tedford praised their team but pulled punches.

One group got in the game they wanted, another didn't.

LD said...

And for further clarity - advocating doesn't mean being an ass... but I think Les Miles was being an ass while advocating.

I'd accept a coach being an ass in advocating for my team if it got a better outcome.

But I'll also not miss the opportunity to call an opposing coach an ass.