Sunday, September 07, 2008

OK, new mission statement

So yeah, I haven't written on this site much, and hopefully a lot of folks think it's dead. I suppose I owe folks an explanation...

WHY?

Well, I've got other stuff going on, so it's not as much a priority.

Also, I've been a little more politically focused, or on family or movies or books. I've thought about this site and how I didn't start it as a college football blog, but then it got some attention as a college football blog. And I'm not really that specialized, or one-track-minded, or something. I meant for this to be a zip drive for my brain and my thoughts on all things, but at some point it turned into something else, and that kind of bored me.

Another thing is that a lot of the college football thoughts I've had, well, they're out there already. 3 years ago, I think there was a decent amount of sub rosa aggravation with how the sport was covered, how titles were conferred, etc. People complained on message boards and around water coolers. Maybe I thought there was a voice unheard back then. But now, there are tons of people who are writing and talking about media bias, subjectivity in sports coverage, statistical analysis above intangibles, local coverage advantages, etc. Sure, there's a mission in further spreading the gospel and staying on mission, but... well, I've got other fish to fry, and there are smarter people out there frying that one.

So here's the new way forward. I'm going to write what's on my mind when I can or need to. I'm not going to pigeonhole myself. I'm not doing Gameday recaps anymore - I can barely bring myself to watch it, let alone spend 4 hours parsing it. I probably won't do the Lebowski stuff anymore - you can figure it out. That doesn't mean that when I hear Kirk Herbstreit raving about Ohio State's intangibles I won't shudder and sometimes post. That doesn't mean that I won't ever post about how Craig James shouldn't be allowed to puff up Texas Tech without disclosing that his son plays on the team (FOUR NEGATIVES IN THAT SENTENCE, TOP THAT!).

The good news is that now that I've let the weeds overgrow this place, nobody's reading. And that leads to a great sense of freedom.

2 comments:

Chip Bankhead said...

No recaps!
Nooooooo!!!!!!.
Some of us w/ ADD need your zipdrive to focus.
-CB

peacedog said...

Zip drives? Dude, modernize!