Thursday, September 08, 2005

Where our good friend LD shows his rampant bias

A word on the Georgia Bulldogs. I thought for a long time on whether I should write a post on the Dawgs and therefore ruin my reputation as an unbiased arbiter of what's right and wrong. Then I remembered that I don't give a shit about my being unbiased, only others, since the inane and ungrammatical rantings of an idiot have no effect on actual events.

So let me make things clear: no college football team made a better impression last weekend than UGA. And I say this mostly because the only other teams that made a good showing this weekend (Notre Dame, Clemson, GT) I do not consider national title contenders and I think they suck. USC and Texas played nobody. Georgia actually played a good opponent (one I think will end up with 9 or 10 wins) and blew them out. Was Boise overrated? Probably, but I still think they'll end up in the Top 25. Their offense is dangerous - on numerous occasions Zabransky missed wide open receivers - and I think this game is more of a credit to UGA than against Boise. Back on Zabransky - he rarely looked past the initial receiver and threw to him even when covered (which was every time). Yes, Zabransky sucked. But the Georgia defense forced it too. Zabransky wasn't under pressure all that much, believe it or not. I thought the Georgia LBs were spectacular and they definitely duped Zabransky into throwing ill-advised passes.

And this bodes well for the Dawgs. Defensively, I think they've shown they can shut down the passing game, and that's without overly agressively attacking the opposing with the front 4. If they choose to (which I suspect they will this weekend), we could see even more turnovers, something sorely lacking from last year's campaign. Offensively, the Dawgs are incredibly dangerous. The quick strike capabilities they showed last weekend can only get better. And the strength of the offense - the running game - wasn't on display. Opposing defenses will have to pick their poison. Boise brought the linebackers up and gave up several big plays. Cover the receivers and tight ends, and you'll see the Dawgs grunt out 4 or 5 yards at a time, with the occasional 18 yard DJ scamper. I don't see many other teams being able to stop Georgia. This team is dangerous. Mistakes might be the only thing that slows the Dawgs down.

So yes, I'm on the bandwagon. I had a good feeling about this year, thinking the Ewing Theory applies. Compared to last year, when expectations made watching Georgia as fun as [here's where I wanted to say fucking a BYU coed missionary style while wearing 5 condoms, but alas, I am not funny], this year seemed like it could be fun. Of course, after a game like last weekend, the expectations are back and bad. So the inevitable fall from grace will again feel like I've been kicking it with a visegrip attached to my sack [see?].

But not this weekend. Here's what I see for the USC (that's in LA) Carolina (that's in Chapel Hill)Shitburg State game this weekend: Blake Mitchell is benched or is injured before the second quarter. The Georgia D gets to the QB a lot, causing a fumble or two and a jumpball INT or two. Georgia runs the ball really well. Georgia doesn't score quite as quickly, but the game is never in doubt. 35-10. Joe T and Blake Barnes play the 4th quarter again. Shockley plays solidly, but the RBs are the story.

Oh, and Spurrier is gracious afterward. That I have no doubt about. I think Spurrier has an interesting ethos of being nice and sportsmanlike after he loses to even out the dickishness he shows when he wins (which I hate when my team is on the short end, but I like generally). We'll have trouble with him when/if he gets some linemen and a real QB. I also see him talking more shit towards Tennessee than us.

0 comments: