Thursday, September 08, 2005

World Cup Update

1) On a positive, I was wrong about the US World Cup Qualifier. I missed the game, so I don't have much to add.

2) "They suck" might be the best post-game comment I've ever heard. One of the things I like about soccer is the way players and teams don't always abide by the law of unthreatening cliches for their post game interviews (see Mourinho, Ferguson, Every single Italian, Eto'o). Why hold back? It's part of the "who gives a shit" attitude . And this is even best when players or managers talk shit after getting lucky or when their team was clearly outplayed (see Domenech).

3) Here's to Ukraine for qualifying. I already see them as a possible giant killer ala Bulgaria in USA '94 with Shevchenko playing the role of Hristo Stoichkov.

4) England, fuck dude. The Island goes apeshit mocking the FIFA rankings when USA passes them (6th vs 7th). Then they lose to the 116th ranked team in the world in front of a largely accommodating crowd. Meanwhile the USA sends an intramural team to a hostile stadium in hot ass Guatemala (ranked 59th) and salvages a draw. Eat a dick, eel eating bitches.

5) I did watch a good portion of the Guatemala game, but I still have very little to add. I guess I'll say I look forward to when Eddie Johnson is full strength. He will be a very good finisher.

0 comments: